AkzoNobel has a passion for paint. We’re experts in the proud craft of making paints and coatings, setting the standard in color and protection since 1792. Our world class portfolio of brands – including Dulux, International, Sikkens and Interpon – is trusted by customers around the globe. Headquartered in the Netherlands, we are active in over 150 countries and employ around 34,500 talented people who are passionate about delivering the high-performance products and services our customers expect.
The Legal Counsel is an experienced, qualified legal professional in IBERIA with substantial all-round legal skills and knowledge and more generally the legal environment of the Company and its businesses. S/he handles matters individually and interacts with the Company’s business and functional managers. The Legal Counsel plays an essential role to safeguard the strategic objectives of the assigned business and to ensure a limited (legal) risk exposure by providing responsive and adequate legal advice.
The scope of the responsibilities consists of being the sole Inhouse-Legal Counsel and the first address for legal questions and for all businesses in the Iberia region.
- Implement the legal strategy in the region (Spain and Portugal) and connect with regional business leaders to define legal priorities in the region:
- drafting and negotiation of a wide range of agreements (including but not limited to cooperation, sales, agency, distribution & supply, finance & loan, services, consultancy agreements);
- providing or coordinating legal advice on Commercial, Competition, Empoyment, M&A and Administrative Law;
- assisting in Compliance investigations in the region;
- handling claims, disputes and litigation matters in the region.
- Managing and provide corporate housekeeping services and corporate governance of relevant legal entities in the region, including:
- Prepare and submite administrative documents to local authorities.
- Renew, update and maintain the trade licenses and other government certificates of the relevant legal entities and to ensure that the documents are up to date.
- Prepare papers for and attend Board meetings, AGMs and EGMs. Maintain relationships with shareholders and board members.
- Liase with Global LEBAM tema to update company book.
- Educate and train business colleagues on various legal matters in the region.
- Implement AkzoNobel Legal Group strategy and standards.
- Select legal service providers in line with ALG and Procurement policies and make sure that services are of quality and represent value for money (Outside Counsel Management).
- Be a member of the Custodian Leadership Team and trusted advisor to its members.
- Travel as required.
- Qualified lawyer with a 7 to 10 years of relevant experience in IBERIA region at a law firm or international reputation and/or at a legal department of a Fortune 500 Company.
- Excellent general legal knowledge with a specific experience in commercial and contract law.
- Solid dispute resolution experience and a solid command of competition law principles.
- Decent knowledge of employment law, mergers and acquisitions and joint ventures.
- First rate knowledge of Competition Laws and regulations in the EMEA region. Some familiarity with comparable laws and regulations in other parts of the world would be helpful.
Fluent command in Spanish, English and preferably Portuguese and basic skills in further languages.
- Top-level analytical, counseling, negotiating, communication and interpersonal skills with sound legal and ethical judgment.
- Advanced in contracting and strategic writing.
- Ability to work with a multidisciplinary team of business personnel, internal and external legal consultants and to coordinate negotiations with government agencies and private parties.
- Ability to identify legal and compliance risks, to define metigating actions, to plan and to execute actions.
- Ability to generate constructive actions to improve process effectiveness.
- Intermefdiate level of project management skills.
- Excellent sense of work prioritization and able to work autonomously while also a team player that can work closely with other counsels in the region and the wider legal group.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age or disability.