PayPal is seeking a Legal Counsel to join our Credit Legal team.
The position is based in Madrid. You will be a key member of the EU Credit Legal Team and the Western Europe Legal Team.
You will have the opportunity to work with the business on challenging strategic projects, in support of the Western European Credit Businesses’ growth plans. You will work closely with colleagues in all functions, both in the Madrid office and across the globe.
To succeed in this new and challenging role, candidates should be confident, self-motivated, and well-organized. An ability to work in a busy, matrixed environment with multiple senior stakeholders and internal clients is essential.
This is a full-time position.
Legal Counsel Western Europe (m/f/d)
Working closely with members of PayPal’s EU Credit Legal team, the Legal Counsel will provide legal advice and support to PayPal’s Western European Credit businesses. Key responsibilities include:
- Assume the role of main point of contact for the business and key functions in all legal questions relating to Western European consumer credit products.
- Provide legal input in strategic discussions relating to the development of new credit products or changes to existing ones (both regulated and unregulated).
- Advise our Western European Credit businesses on applicable laws and contractual terms that regulate the provision of PayPal’s Credit products to its German and European customers.
- Support new product launches and strategic initiatives in Western European countries.
- Collaborate closely with the compliance team and ensure that governance and control processes are respected.
- Develop and maintain relationships with relevant stakeholders.
- Help to ensure that budget thresholds are respected, and cost controls implemented.
- Attend meetings within the legal team; represent the “legal voice and the legal ear” in meetings with other functions.
- Communicate with outside counsel, manage outside counsel and related budget, and ensure that input is understood by the relevant internal stakeholders.
- Recognized Spanish or other Western European law degree.
- Experience in credit or financial services.
- Experience in advising clients, including senior executives, on complex content- and technology-related legal issues and regulatory matters.
- Ability to collaborate with senior management and cross functional stakeholders and implement policies and processes.
- Creative thinker with outstanding communication and analytical skills, strong problem-solving capabilities, and the personality to stay calm under challenging circumstances.
- Ability to take ownership of projects and tasks, handle multiple assignments simultaneously, with effective resolution of conflicting priorities.
- Fluency in English and Spanish required. French or Italian language skills would be beneficial.