Lightsource bp (LSbp) is a global leader in the development and management of solar energy projects. We are a 50:50 joint venture with bp with a mission to help drive the world’s transition to low carbon energy.
With solar set to increase tenfold in the next 20 years, we are well-positioned to capitalize on this growth. By joining the Lightsource bp team, you will ‘be the change’ on the world’s energy transition to a more sustainable future.
We pride ourselves on our entrepreneurial spirit as we continue to push the boundaries of an ever-changing energy landscape. By choosing a career with us, you can expect a challenging and fulfilling role surrounded by people who are passionate and have brilliant ideas about sustainable technology, innovation and making the world a better place.
The legal team, with lawyers in London, US, Brazil and Australia, specialises in corporate, construction, energy, finance, commercial and property law in the renewable energy sector, providing support across all the units of the business and all jurisdictions.
The role provides an exciting opportunity for a lawyer within a dynamic and changing business in a growth industry.
Duties and Responsibilities
Supporting the global development team with greenfield solar photovoltaic development and acquisitions with particular focus on new markets including:
- Due diligence of development opportunities and analysis of permitting and planning requirements
- Review and management of property related agreements (purchase deeds, lease agreements, easements) and grid access arrangements
- Drafting and negotiation of co-development agreements, SPAs, SHAs and ancillary documents
- Drafting and negotiation of commercial contracts including development services agreements and asset management contracts;
- Assisting with legal aspects of RFP processes for auction opportunities;
- Advising as to regulatory changes and their commercial impact;
- Providing company secretarial support and managing compliance issues throughout Spanish law contracts;
- Liaising with EMEA Projects team through to project implementation phase including EPC, PPA and financing
- Assisting with financing arrangements (insofar as it relates to project requirements eg lease direct agreements, property reports, Lender DD support)
- Liaising with all internal business teams including business development, finance, technical, delivery, procurement, asset management
- Ensuring compliance with internal compliance framework and corporate approvals policies
- Opportunities will also arise:
- Supervise the legal team’s paralegals, trainees and junior lawyers where appropriate
- Become involved in other areas of law where business needs arise
Knowledge / Experience
- Equivalent to at least 5 years Post Qualification Experience, preferably with some recent experience of working with international clients.
- Excellent academic background and experience gained in leading international / mid to top tier firm.
- Ability to deal confidently and build strong relations with senior business colleagues.
- Flexible attitude and the ability to multi task. Strong time management / prioritisation skills.
- Strong English verbal and written communication skills. Additional languages would also be advantageous.
- Helpful, hardworking approach and a team player.
- Strong business acumen with ability to assess legal risk and commercial / practical considerations.
- Excellent technical drafting skills and familiarity with the documents and types of work covered in the ‘Duties and responsibilities’ section of this job description.
Preference for candidates with:
- Experience in the renewable energy and infrastructure sector;
- Experience instructing and managing external/local counsel;
- Experience in drafting and negotiating commercial contracts; and
- Familiarity with project financed power/infrastructure assets.
Our company is a place where you can be yourself and grow; a place where your ideas and opinions matter.
We pride ourselves on being an inclusive community, where every individual is valued and treated with respect.
Our culture is driven by our core values. From operating safely to ensuring our solar projects are responsible and promote biodiversity.
Alongside a competitive salary, we offer a variety of benefits including annual bonus, retention bank, health insurance, pension and other local benefits.
Beyond your day-to-day working life at Lightsource bp, there’s a variety of initiatives that will contribute to your own personal development. Initiatives to get involved with including our charitable causes, supporting our solar honey project or our net-zero by 2025 campaign.