This role is part of the Legal department. In a very regulated market like Iberian (Spain, Portugal, Canary Islands, Andorra and Gibraltar) tobacco market, a Legal Associate plays a key role in providing legal advice and analysis to the organisation, under the supervision of the Iberia Legal Counsel responsible of the LEX function.
The role is responsible for to ensure that the Company is empowered to keep acting lawfully given the strict local legislation, particularly focused on the company’s compliance programs, in aspects such as data protection, competition, internal policy compliance, information systems, and trademarks rights and to manage, in a proactive manner, the regulatory issues.
Reports to: Iberia Legal Counsel
Geographic Scope: Spain
WHAT YOU WILL BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR
- Secure the full and timely implementation of compliance, marketing, commercial, corporate programs within regulatory local frameworks.
- Contributing to the preservation of BAT reputation, serving as legal advisor of the business units of the Company.
- Contributing to the maintenance of the BAT business according to the BAT strategy.
- Provide data protection and Corporate law advice.
- Implementation of compliance programs.
- Provide competition law advice.
- Provide legal guidance on marketing and commercial programs, from a cross-functional perspective, including aspects such as consumer law, e-commerce, tobacco and consumer goods sector regulations, environment, sustainability, etc.
- Manage trademarks rights.
- Ensure the management of commercial contracts.
CAN THIS BE YOUR FUTURE ROLE?
- Do you have a proactive attitude? Are you willing to constantly develop and support the team in the daily activities?
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a reputable law firm or in the Legal department of a multinational company, preferably in a FMCG, pharmaceutical company or tobacco industry.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English language.
- Excellent command of written and spoken Spanish language.
- User knowledge of computer skills (Word, PowerPoint, Excel).
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Good ability to translate legal concepts into an easily understandable format and to communicate them clearly, both orally and in writing, with all levels of management.
- Ability to work autonomously, with full accountability over the functions assigned.
- Act as a team player and have a flexible and positive attitude.
- Attention to details.
- Good commercial judgement.
- Ability to work under pressure and to cope with unexpected and different demands.
- Ability to work well as a member of a multi-disciplinary and international team.
- Ability to manage external lawyers in a range of jurisdictions.
WE ARE BAT
At BAT we are committed to our Purpose of creating A Better Tomorrow. This is what drives our people and our passion for innovation. See what is possible for you at BAT.
- Global Top Employer with 53,000 BAT people across more than 180 markets
- Brands sold in over 200 markets, made in 44 factories in 42 countries
- Newly established Tech Hubs building world-class capabilities for innovation in 4 strategic locations
- Diversity leader in the Financial Times and International Women’s Day Best Practice winner
- Seal Award winner – one of 50 most sustainable companies
BELONGING, ACHIEVING, TOGETHER
Collaboration, diversity and teamwork underpin everything we do here at BAT. We know that collaborating with colleagues from different backgrounds is what makes us stronger and best prepared to meet our business goals. Come bring your difference!